When to save and when to splurge on your kitchen renovation
Kitchen renovation considerations
Few people ever regret doing a kitchen renovation. Of course a lot depends on how deep your pockets are and what is important to you. So when is the right time to save and when is the right time to splurge on your kitchen renovation?
Work out your budget, how much do you want to spend? Then consider these factors for your kitchen renovation:
- If it is the right time to splurge think about what your kitchen means to you. Are you a kitchen “person”, someone who spends more time in this room than any other because you love to cook or is it more like a family room where everyone gathers?
- And what about when you sell your home one day, are you hoping to make a good return on your investment. Remember that most property experts say it is wise not to spend more than 10 per cent of the total value of your home on a renovation.
- Think of the ways you use your kitchen and spend accordingly. What areas need to be improved for better functionality? Do you want to completely remodel the kitchen and link it to an outdoor area, for example? That could be a splurge.
- If you know it’s time to modernise your kitchen, find a look and theme that appeals to you and fits in with the house as a whole. Are you going for an open-plan kitchen? Or a more intimate, cosy feel? Design your kitchen renovation accordingly.
When to save on your kitchen renovation
- Given that we love achieving a fabulous new look with a bit of creative flair, there is plenty you can do to save on your kitchen reno. Choose components that look more expensive than they actually are. There are some fabulous timber cabinets and stone look a like benchtops that will do the trick.
- This can also apply to whitegoods such as a stove and dishwasher. Go for quality products even on a budget or do some research on the products you are considering buying.
- Ensure that the plumbing is well organised. If you have a plumber you have used before, talk to them at the planning stage, if you are going to keep everything in the same place, this will keep costs down. If you are planning a remodel, ask them to give you feedback on how to save costs.
- When it comes to tradespeople, you may need a plumber, electrician, tiler, joiner and so forth.
Splurge or save, you may want to hire a kitchen company who can oversee the whole kitchen renovation by providing you with expert advice and a vision akin to your own. If so speak with the team at Creativ Kitchens here.